Washington, DC 20020
Suitland Parkway is a limited access scenic roadway that was constructed during the early months of World War II by the Bureau of Public Roads to serve as a rapid transit road between Camp Springs in Prince George's County, Maryland, to Bolling Field Air Force Base, and ultimately the Pentagon and downtown Washington, D.C. In 1945, Camp Springs was renamed Andrews Field.
Today the Parkway is a dual lane roadway used by visitors and commuters approaching the nation's capital from the east. The White House frequently uses the Parkway along with congressional and military personnel, as well as foreign dignitaries who fly into and out of Andrews Air Force Base. The Parkway corridor is often the first image foreign heads of state get of the United States.
Hours + Fees
National Capital Parks - East is made up of 14 different sites in and around Washington, D.C. and its eastern environs. The park areas encompass over 8,000 acres and offer a wide array of historic, natural, and recreational areas.
Map + Directions
From BW Parkway/295
Follow the Baltimore Washington Parkway South toward D.C. When the parkway intersects 295, follow the lanes to the left toward the 495 Capital Beltway. Take the eastbound Pennsylvania Avenue exit. Take the first right onto Fairlawn Ave. Go to the stop sign and turn right again on Nicholson St. to enter the park.
Follow 395 North into Washington, DC toward the Southeast/Southwest Freeway. When the freeway splits veer to the right toward Martin Luther King, Jr. Ave., then take the Anacostia Park exit to the stop sign. Turn right onto Good Hope Rd. to enter the park.
From Suitland Parkway/South Capitol St.
Follow the Suitland Parkway West toward D.C. Turn right at the traffic signal onto Firth Sterling Ave. Take a left turn at the next traffic signal onto Howard Rd. When you approach the Douglass Bridge, the lanes will split and the park entrance is to the right.